Bless this Blog.

Looking for a Bartender for your next function? E-Mail CharlesTheBartender@Yahoo.com or Call Me! (207) 432-5056

Thoughts, stories, ideas, recipes, cheers, and more... What else did you think you would get for a $1 tip?

For those of you looking for something on the more sophisticated side you have my apologies. This blog unfortunately mirrors the author (yours truly.) Some of the humor is not for everyone but I liked it and it's my blog so there! My patrons sometimes ask me where I come up with some of this stuff. I am glad to tell them my mind is a lot like Canada. It is sometimes a bit cold, there are a few dark corners, some of it down right confusing and even a bit dirty but there is also a lot of neat stuff up there. So I hope you all enjoy this blog! ... Cheers!

Monday, June 2, 2014

Vitamin Gumbo


This week I felt like pooh! And I am not talking about that rolly-polly honey loving bear that comes to life in Christopher Robin's boyhood dreams. No I haven't gotten a new cat named Tigger, nor have I started hanging out with several other woodland creatures. However I have always said that my Grandfather has a cunning voice similarity to Eeyore. Seriously his voicemail messages are priceless.
Note to self: Call Poppop.

No what I am trying to say is this past week I have felt like human excrement. Like I was rode hard and put away wet and my body was trying to tell me "you are done for a little while." Ain't nobody got no time for that mess... Nothing serious here really just your common cold that seems to be making its rounds here in New England as it does every year when the weather and temperature seem to bounce as though on a viral trampoline. One day we have warm and sunny with temps in the high 70's the next 3 days the temps are settling in the low 40's with a wind chill and rain just to bring the chill to your bones.

When this sort of feeling comes over me I rarely head to the medicine cabinet. My Mom always says "you get out of your body what you put in." If you put in crap that is what you get out of it. If you put in good stuff... well you still get crap out however you just feel a lot better while doing it.
So instead of going to the pharmacy for medication and temporary relief I hit the grocery store and look for a long term fix. My Vitamin Gumbo usually has me feeling noticeable better within a few hours. Also it only costs about $20 give or take, to make. I posted a picture of the gumbo on my Facebook page and lots of people asked me to share the recipe. Keep in mind I usually make a huge pot of this and it lasts a bunch of us a few days. So my amount of ingredients are large in quantity. Feel free to scale it back as needed. Also I NEVER measure when I cook. This makes me a TERRIBLE baker. Maybe it has a lot to do with my ADD I say I have ADD in high definition I have ADHD. I tend to cook to taste so you will not find measurements here. This is packed with vitamins and nutrients and fills the need for warm comfort food when you may not be feeling your best.


Vitamin Gumbo

Ingredients

1 Lite Polish Turkey Kielbasa (cut into bit sized slices)
3 Chicken breast (cut into bite sized chunks)
1/2 lb. Small Shrimp (frozen pre-cooked and shelled)
Chopped Garlic
1 Large Red Onion (rough chopped)
1 Sweet bell pepper (rough chopped)
2 Poblano Pepper (mild pepper or something hotter if you like)
Kale (rough chopped)
10 Brussel sprouts (cut into quarters)
1 lb. Fresh Green beans (rough chopped)
1 bag Baby Spinach
Carrots (rough chopped)
Celery (rough chopped)
About 2 cups Brown rice
Frank's Hot Sauce
Salt and Pepper
Oregano
Parsley flakes
1 can Okra
1 can Dark Kidney Beans
1 can Black Beans
1 can Black Eyed Peas
1 can of sweet corn (fresh off the cob is better if you have leftovers)
2 cans diced Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
1 can Beef Broth unsalted
*Parmesan Cheese
*Sherry wine

Directions
In a large pot on Medium heat add Garlic, Onion and Peppers along with Parsley flakes,
(*Every time I hear "parsley" I think of a joke my Pop tells: "What is the difference between parsley and pussy? Some guys actually eat parsley!") Oregano and let them sweat for a couple minutes or so while stirring occasionally.
Turn up the heat to high and add Chicken and Kielbasa.
Dash of Salt and Black Pepper.
Once the chicken is almost cooked through bring your heat back down to medium and start to add a few of your fresh vegetables (Carrots, Celery, Brussel sprouts.)
Dash of Salt and Pepper
Add your canned tomatoes and beef broth.
Now strain and rinse before adding canned Okra, corn, beans and peas.
Turn your heat back up to high, cover and bring to a boil. If your ingredients are not covered in liquid add water to cover.
Dash of Salt and pepper and a few shots of Frank's Hot Sauce. (I put that shit on everything! Love that slogan)
Add Brown Rice and frozen Shrimp.
Bring your heat down to medium low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Add your Kale and Baby Spinach and stir in.
Maybe one more dash of Salt, Black Pepper and Hot Sauce to taste.
Turn your heat off and leave covered for about 5 minutes.
Serve in a bowl and top with a dash or two of Sherry wine and sprinkle of parmesan cheese
Feel better soon!


Cheers!

 


All else fails... Take 2 of these!


Parfait –up to a K cup


No comments:

Post a Comment