Bless this Blog.

Looking for a Bartender for your next function? E-Mail CharlesTheBartender@Yahoo.com or Call Me! (207) 432-5056

Thoughts, stories, ideas, recipes, cheers, and more... What else did you think you would get for a $1 tip?

For those of you looking for something on the more sophisticated side you have my apologies. This blog unfortunately mirrors the author (yours truly.) Some of the humor is not for everyone but I liked it and it's my blog so there! My patrons sometimes ask me where I come up with some of this stuff. I am glad to tell them my mind is a lot like Canada. It is sometimes a bit cold, there are a few dark corners, some of it down right confusing and even a bit dirty but there is also a lot of neat stuff up there. So I hope you all enjoy this blog! ... Cheers!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

To be Old Fashioned

 Something about a good Old Fashioned cocktail makes me feel a little more worldly and wise. Don't ask me what it is however it just does. Sort of like "The Most Interesting Man Alive" somehow came and tapped me on the shoulder. As if to say Charles can speak French in Spanish. Or Charles's 2 cents are worth a dollar 25. Or maybe Charles once traveled to and explored the Virgin Islands, when he left they were just “The Islands.” these and the other quotes are complete rip offs from the commercial by the way so thank you Dos Equis!... I digress.

The real reason I gravitate towards the Old Fashioned is I like whiskey but just like the town of Ogunquit here in Maine, I just can't take it straight. (cough! PUSSY! cough...) Yeah, yeah I know! I will surrender my man card if necessary after that last statement. However I may just redeem myself after reading this entire post. You see although I do like the Old Fashioned I have recently been in my lab playing around with a few twists. Here are a few that either I have created or have read about.

Charles once asked a woman to say ‘NO’ to him, so he could understand rejection.


So the original Old Fashioned is a cocktail made by muddling sugar with bitters then adding alcohol, such as whiskey or brandy, and a twist of citrus rind. The Pendennis Club in Louisville, Kentucky gave the combination its name and popularity. The Old Fashioned is the first drink referred to as a cocktail. Like most everything in this world however it has evolved a bit over time with the introduction of new flavors of whiskey, bitters and just creative minds. If you were to order a Old Fashion at most bars today it would look like this:

Old Fashioned Cocktail
Build and serve in an "Old Fashioned glass"
1 Orange slice
1 Sugar cube
3 Dashes Angostura bitters
1 Maraschino cherry
Muddle all of the above ingredients to a nice mash.
Fill the glass with ice
2 oz. Whiskey
Stir (DO NOT SHAKE!)

Charles is the only person Chuck Norris has apologized to.
 

So now as our base recipe of muddling sugar with bitters then adding alcohol, such as whiskey or brandy, and a twist of citrus rind, here are a few variations I have come up with or read about.
 
Charles takes his salad dressing right on the salad, so there is no going back.
 
Spicy Sweet Old Fashioned (*from Liquor.com)

Build and serve in an "Old Fashioned glass"
2 Bar spoons Maple Syrup
2 Chile slices
3 Dashes of Angostura bitters
Muddle above ingredients to a nice mash
Fill the glass with ice
2 oz. Anejo Tequila
Stir thoroughly
Garnish with a Chile slice and serve

Charles counts his chickens before they hatch…and they always hatch!
 
Old Fashioned Manhattan Peach
This is my own concoction a twist between a Manhattan, Old Fashioned and a Georgia Peach.
Build and serve in an "Old Fashioned glass"
1 Orange slice
1 Sugar cube
3 Dashes Angostura bitters
1 Maraschino cherry
Muddle all of the above ingredients to a nice mash. (Seeing a trend here?)
Fill the glass with ice.
.5 oz. Sweet Vermouth
1 oz. Peach Schnapps
2 oz. Jack Daniels
Shake and serve

Years ago, Charles created a city out of blocks. Today over 600,000 people live and work there.

Autumn Old Fashioned
Build and serve in an "Old Fashioned glass"
1 Orange slice
1 tsp. brown sugar
3 Dashes Blood Orange bitters
1 Maraschino cherry
Muddle all of the above ingredients to a nice mash.
Fill the glass with ice.
.5 oz. Sweet Vermouth
1 oz. Pumpkin Spice Schnapps
2 oz. Wild Turkey
Splash of Cranberry juice.
Shake and serve
Garnish with a Cinnamon stick

One day he got so angry with dancing that he broke it.. The result is Break Dance.
 
St. Germain Old Fashioned
Build and serve in an "Old Fashioned glass"
Orange zest
1 tsp. brown sugar
2 Dashes Angostura bitters
2 Dashes Orange bitters
Fill the glass with ice.
1 oz. St. Germain
2 oz. Makers Mark Bourbon

Charles sent $1000 to a Nigerian scammer, & actually received his $5 million share of the loot.

Pear Old Fashioned
2 Slices of fresh pear
1 tsp. Agave Nectar
2 Dashes Angostura bitters
Muddle to a nice mash
Fill the glass with ice.
2 oz. Bourbon
Splash of Pear Nectar
Stir and serve.

His Humvee is more eco-friendly than a Prius, because it runs on his urine.
 
Cheers!

It is rumored that he was born when a Tsunami and a Twister had sex with a Tigress.


No comments:

Post a Comment