Bless this Blog.

Looking for a Bartender for your next function? E-Mail CharlesTheBartender@Yahoo.com or Call Me! (207) 432-5056

Thoughts, stories, ideas, recipes, cheers, and more... What else did you think you would get for a $1 tip?

For those of you looking for something on the more sophisticated side you have my apologies. This blog unfortunately mirrors the author (yours truly.) Some of the humor is not for everyone but I liked it and it's my blog so there! My patrons sometimes ask me where I come up with some of this stuff. I am glad to tell them my mind is a lot like Canada. It is sometimes a bit cold, there are a few dark corners, some of it down right confusing and even a bit dirty but there is also a lot of neat stuff up there. So I hope you all enjoy this blog! ... Cheers!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Jagermeister and all its glory

I had the pleasure of meeting Jon A. Hildreth the other day in La Careta Restaurant in Manchester, NH. I was talking to a friend of mine about the "Q-Ball" a Halloween party I was at over the weekend in Portland, Maine. If you have never been to this party it is a must! Jon is the Northeast Control State Manager for the Sidney Frank Importing Company in other words if you are in the New England states and want Jagermeister in your bar or store you need to speak with Mr. Hildreth. Jon is a great guy and fun to talk to and in talking to him it turns out he is also the guy who sends the "Jager-ettes" out to bar promotions. Jon was the one to set up the "Jager-ettes" to be at the Q-Ball this past weekend. The "Jager-ettes" for those of you who don't know are the hot shot girls who walk around the club in the sexy Jagermeister outfits selling shots of? You guessed it! Jagermeister! Needless to say it is Jon's terribly taxing task I am sure to see to it that the "Jager-ettes" are of the highest quality. Tough job but hey someone has to do it right?
So on to my point, talking to Jon stirred up memories of my first Jagermeister and many other experiences. However my first one was probably the funniest and I figured I would share with all of you. So kick back in your easy chair while I tell you a story.

I was 21 years old and with my now ex-wife Winona at the time when this all happened. Winona had a very deep German family heritage. Her grandmother was more or less fresh off the boat and her family home was filled with German nick-knacks and cuckoo clocks. I was already not what her family had in mind for her so there I was at a dinner with her family trying my best to make a good impression. I was using all my manors and even laughing at her fathers terrible puns as if I was a city kid trying to impress the Dean of Harvard in hopes of getting in. Not that I have terrible manors otherwise but I was not that guy, that is for sure. Dinner finally came to an end and everyone went to the living room to sit and stare at each other. Seriously no one really spoke they all just sat there in awkward silence with the occasional sounds of food settling in her father and grandmothers stomachs and maybe a line or two about someone in the family doing something. I was bored to tears!

Next thing you know Winona stands up and says "who would like some Jager?" I thought I was hearing things, I had to ask if that is what she really said and if "Jager" was truly Jagermeister or something else completely. Much to my surprise it was Jagermeister and like a gift from above Winona opened the freezer door to reveal a big bottle of Jager and several ornate frozen shot glasses. Finally this is a scene I can get into. I remember looking at Granny as she took her little shot glass from the trey like "now this is my kind of party!"

What happened next killed any chances I ever had at a good impression. "over the teeth and through the gum's look out stomach here it comes." As I plowed the shot of Jager I could see the look of horror coming from Granny and her father in my direction. As the Jagermeister made its way down my throat I could feel the warmth of the liquid blend with the warmth of my embarrassment as everyone else sipped their Jager I was ready to do a keg stand and call for my next shot. Needless to say I was not asked back to dinner anytime soon. Who knew anyone actually sipped Jager?! Are these the same people who liked Moxie?


Well come to find out plenty of people and now I as well can and will occasionally sip Jagermeister as an after dinner drink. It was an acquired taste for me and maybe for many others. Believe it or not Jagermeister instead of vodka in your Bloody Mary is very tasty. If Jon ever needs help finding new "Jager-ette" talent or, wants to send a "Jager-ette" or two my way however to assist in the process she will be received with open arms! However if drinking it straight is not your thing then here are a few mixes you might want to try.



Hairy Berry Martini

1 oz. - Jagermeister
1 oz. - Peach Schnapps
1.5 oz. - Cranberry juice
* Shake and strain into a martini glass
Top with lemon-lime soda

420 Punch
1 oz. - Rum
1 oz. - Apple Pucker
1 oz. - Cranberry Juice
1 oz. - Jagermeister
1 oz. - Orange Juice
1 oz. - Peach Schnapps
1 oz. - Pineapple Juice
1 oz. - Sour Mix
Shake and pour over ice in a tall glass
Top with lemon-lime soda

California Surfer
1.5 oz - Coconut Rum
1.5 oz - Jagermeister
Fill with Pineapple Juice
Serve over ice.

And if you ever do want to do a shot or two here are a few...

Asto Pop Shot
1 part - Blue Curacao
1 part - Cinnamon Schnapps
1 part - Jagermeister
1 part - Goldschlager
1 part - Midori
1 part - Rumple Minze
*layer each and serve.


Redheaded Slut
1 part - Cranberry Juice
1 part - Jagermeister
1 part - Peach Schnapps
*Shake over ice, pour and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment